NO COPIES RECORDED IN THE US
Compendium privilegiorum fratrum minorum necnon et aliorum fratrum mendicantium.
Valladolid, [Nicolás Tierri, 1525.]
FIRST EDITION. 4to. ff. (iv) 124. Gothic letter, some double column. Attractive t-p with full-page woodcut of St Francis receiving stigmata surrounded by typographical frame with fleurons, tendrils and urns; decorated initials. Some slight browning, t-p a bit thumbed, occasional faint dampstaining to upper margins. A very good copy, on thick paper, probably never bound with covers, sewn on three single alum-tawed parchment supports, stitched endbands, vellum sewing guard, original fep. Marca de fuego ‘CSFQ’ of the Convento de San Francisco (Querétaro, Mexico) to all edges, early ex-libris of the Convento to fly and illegible Latin inscription to lower blank margin of †4, casemark to upper blank margins of three ll., the odd early annotation, in folding box.
Very good copy of the scarce first edition of this compendium of privileges, bulls and concessions granted by popes to the Franciscan and other mendicant orders in the course of previous centuries. Intended as an ‘opusculum’ for easy consultation, it is organized alphabetically and prefaced by a long index. Each numbered entry begins with the name of the pope who granted the specified privileges concerning, for instance, the permission to administer confession and absolution in various circumstances (e.g., to family members or infidels), appropriate behaviour in convents and in the presence of women who are not nuns, education and indulgences (with lists of specific stations for penitence in Rome and Jerusalem, sins absolved and length of time). Such compendia became fundamental administrative instruments for missionary friars in the New World. This copy belonged to the Convento de San Francisco in Querétaro, Mexico, in the C17. Most marginalia highlight ordinances concerning the financial and administrative relationship between Franciscans friars and the nuns of the Second Order of St Francis for whom a convent was established in Querétaro in 1606.
No copies recorded in the US.
USTC 337209; Wilkinson, Iberian Books, 5830; Palau 46930. Not in BM STC Sp.